Most people use organic coconut oil for cooking and even baking, and many may think that’s all there is to it. But it actually has many other uses and provides many benefits.
When you include coconut oil in your diet and also apply it to your hair and skin, it can do wonders for your body.
Here are among the many benefits that you can get out of using coconut oil.
There are many health benefits that you can get from this oil, but among the most important are:
- It is good for the heart. Lauric acid, which is a component found in coconut oil, can help prevent heart problems that may be caused by high blood pressure and high cholesterol levels. As this type of oil is also not harmful compared to other types like vegetable oil, the possibility of artery damage is decreased and this helps prevent atherosclerosis.
- Boosts your immune system. The lauric acid contained in this oil, along with capric acid, caprylic acid and the antimicrobial lipids found in it, can help strengthen your immune system. Because of this regular intake of this oil can help your body fight various harmful bacteria.
- Helps in weight loss. Coconut oil contains medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) or medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs) that help increase your energy expenditure. This means that when these MCTs enter your body they go straight to your liver where they are converted into energy that also results to an increase in metabolism. And unlike carbohydrates or other types of calories, it doesn’t result to an insulin spike in your bloodstream which in turn will result to a curbing of your sugar cravings.
Hair and Skin Care
Coconut oil is also good for both your hair and skin. Explained in detail, these are the benefits that you can get from it.
- When you apply it as a moisturiser it will help keep your skin, specifically your connective tissues, supple and strong. When this happens, wrinkles and lines are prevented. It also has exfoliating powers to rid your skin of the outer layer of dead skin cells.
- It can help with candida and other skin infections. It’s capability to retain moisture can help prevent skin from cracking or peeling off. Its antibacterial and antifungal properties can also kill bacteria and eliminate fungi.
- When massaged on your scalp or applied on the hair, it can help treat dry hair, treat and minimise split ends, and prevent balding. It can also help condition your hair and help keep it healthy.
Discover the benefits listed above and many more when using coconut oil. Maximise the use of this kitchen staple and experience the health benefits that they bring to you.
At the Natural Health Organics natural food store, we provide a variety of coconut oil products. We also offer health products including Herbs of Gold. View our products online now.